Monday, May 16, 2011

Cataracts and Glaucoma

Question: I was just told that I have a cataract and glaucoma - more pronounced in the left eye and a recommendation for surgery was made. I have tried several drops for glaucoma and have allergic reactions to them. What is the best way to handle this medical issue?

Answer: If you have a Cataract and Glaucoma that cannot be medically controlled then you may not have any choice other than Cataract Surgery. Cataract Surgery in fact is the only way to treat a Cataract. When you have Glaucoma-depending on the type of Glaucoma that you have-it is possible to treat the Glaucoma with certain types of laser treatments that can reduce the intraocular pressure. In addition there is a surgical procedure called ECP that can be combined with Cataract Surgery that can also be used to treat Glaucoma. This really depends on the type of Glaucoma that you have as well as the severity of the condition. Your best solution is to find a top Cataract Surgeon and follow their direction on the best course of treatment.

Important Note: The information presented on the About Cataract Surgery Blog or provided in response to a request for information in the Ask Cataract Surgeons section on is not intended to diagnose or treat eye problems, eye conditions or eye diseases including appropriateness of treatment, risks, complications or side effects as related to Cataracts, Cataract Surgery of Lens Implants. In particular a response to an inquiry made on the Ask Cataract Surgeons section of is not meant to take the place of the professional medical care provided by your eye doctor, ophthalmologist and Cataract Surgeon. Contacting us via e-mail or any other means is not a substitute for medical care.

No comments:

Post a Comment