Monday, February 16, 2009

Are there different Types of Intraocular Lens Implants (IOL)?

Until about 5 years ago there was really only one type of intraocular lens implant (IOL) used to correct vision after cataract surgery. This type of lens is called a monofocal lens implant (IOL) and as the name implies it only focuses or corrects vision at one distance-and that distance if for correcting far away vision. Monofocal Lens Implants are still the most common type of lens implant at this time but this is beginning to change with the availability of advanced technology IOLs. Today there are IOLs for correcting astigmatism, called toric lens implants and lens implants for giving sharper vision in dim illumination called aspheric lens implants. In addition, for people who wish to be less dependent on reading glasses,bifocals who want to read without glasses after cataract surgery there are near vision presbyopia correcting multifocal lens implants.

No comments:

Post a Comment