Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Spider Web Vision after Cataract Surgery


Question: I had cataracts removed and toric lens implants in March. The left eye was done first. I had severe astigmatism and nearsightedness. I was told that I would only need glasses for working on the computer and reading. However, while I'm waiting on my glasses, I find that I have developed some massive spider web like floaters in my direct line of vision. My cataract surgeon even could see that is where they are. My distance is getting worse and prior to the surgery, I could see to read slightly without my glasses. Now, I cannot see to read anything without help (using readers for now). Everything is cloudy, out of focus and I feel like I have made a grave error in having this procedure done. I feel like I'm losing my mind. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: Without a careful examination it is impossible to say for sure but it does sound like you are describing a common occurrence after cataract surgery called a vitreous detachment. In fact some 50% or more of patients having cataract surgery experience a vitreous detachment-but not all instances cause vision problems. The vitreous gel is normally adhering to the surface of the retina. With age the gel liquefies and separates-especially after cataract surgery-from the retinal surface. If this happens on the visual axis it can cause exactly what you are noting. The good news is that over time this disturbance does go away by itself with no treatment necessary.

Important Note: The information presented on the About Cataract Surgery Blog or provided in response to a request for information in the Ask Cataract Surgeons section on aboutcataractsurgery.com is not intended to diagnose or treat eye problems, eye conditions or eye diseases including appropriateness of treatment, risks, complications or side effects as related to Cataracts, Cataract Surgery or Lens Implants. In particular a response to an inquiry made on the Ask Cataract Surgeons section of aboutcataractsurgery.com is not meant to take the place of the professional medical care provided by your eye doctor, ophthalmologist and Cataract Surgeon. Contacting us via e-mail or any other means is not a substitute for medical care.

No comments:

Post a Comment